Have you ever wondered how long writing has been around?
One of the oldest forms of writing came from Egypt and is known as hieroglyphics. Hieroglyphics are pictures of animals or objects that are used to represent sounds or meanings.
Egyptians used hieroglyphics for almost 4,000 years! They were written on papyrus, carved in stone on tomb and temple walls, and used to decorate many objects of daily life use. Guide your learner to create unique hieroglyphics.
How to Start:
- What you’ll need: paper, pencil or crayon.
- Add this Topic template from the Disco Library to your Grid.
That’s it! Now just follow the steps below with your learner.
- Begin by exploring the ancient writing of hieroglyphics through a digital translator.
- Read to find out exactly what hieroglyphics are and how old they are.
- Have your learner create their own system of writing like hieroglyphics!
- Make a new symbol for every letter and use them to write a secret message.
- Share your Grid’s unique code or link with your learner.
- What does your learner think of using hieroglyphics in comparison to our written alphabet?
- Do they prefer one more than the other?
- Have your learner take a screenshot of what their name looks like with the digital translator, or share a word written in their own new writing system.
You did it! What else do you want to learn today? Find more work in Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials!